Sunday, January 27, 2008

Say hello to my little friend


For the past 8 months I've attached myself diligently to this lovely piece of machinery every 3 hours (yes even at night). Now, I won't lie and say I don't skip a session every once in a while, but the pain of engorgement is kind enough to remind me of my lapse. When Savannah was first born and the realization struck that she would never be able to nurse, no matter how hard I cried or prayed, I thought if I could just make it her first surgery, I'll call it a day and be done with it. Her first surgery was suppose to be at about 3 months old, but didn't end up happening untill she was 6 months old. At that point I was half way through, so why not just keep going. Her next surgery is May 6th (yes, her birthday) and I hope to be able to make it till then.

Why pump? The difference between one ear infection, and a never ending ear infection, that many times leads to hearing loss. The antibodies passed along through breastmilk also lessen the chances of infection on the incesions, and help speed up healing time. After her next surgery she will have to be on an all liquid diet for a while, and what better liquid than breastmilk.

Pumping has been the hardest most unforgiving commitment I've ever had to make. I've endured engorgement, mastitis (infections), cracked nipples, blisters and other uncomfortable moments because of it, but like anything that we've done for Savannah, I hope to be able to someday say to her, we did EVERYTHING we possiblly could for you, and know that it's true.

I pump therefore I am....tierd

7 comments:

King Klan said...

ok i am so proud of you that is so determantion. people say im nut for still nursing the twins but i say dedicated and you are more then me. keep it up

Andrea said...

I think it is pretty incredible how well you did with pumping. Not many people can do that!

Yvonne said...

You are a brave and dedcated mother. Way to go! Keep it up, you are almost there!

Rebecca said...

Ouch, mastitis. Been there, it made me quit with Noah. May 6th isn't very far away!

Unknown said...

KARIN YOU ROCK!!!!!! You are my hero and inspiration. Whenever I think that things are tough with my little one, I think of you and everything that you do. You are an amazing person. Savannah is such a blessed little girl to have you for her mom. (Kiera and Mason too!)

Melanie said...

May 6th is my daughter's birthday (Heidi). I had forgotten that she was born on her birthday!! She looks so good!! Keep up the great work. It's amazing what we do for our children!

Emily Peery said...

Hey Karin! I've just discovered your blog through Melissa's blog. It's great to see your family doing so great! Savannah looks beautiful. You are an admirable dedicated mommy. I hated pumping just for extra milk I needed when I was away. You really are doing everything you can for little Savannah.