Sunday, September 16, 2007

We met the surgeon

On Tuesday night Savannah and I flew out to the big apple to meet her surgeon. We flew all night, and she was a doll and slept the Entire trip there. Me on the other hand....something about flying to New York on September 11 just didn't feel right, then you go and throw in one muslum sitting right across from me, and that was enough for me. I tried smiling at him when we first got on the plane, but all I got was a stone cold look of death. My mother-in-law said it was because they don't like women. I was sure it was because we were his ticket to his paradise with 72 virgins. BUT we made it. Poor man was probobly just as uncomfortable flying that day, because I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that.

We took a nice hour and a half ride through Queens (i took a ride share van) and finally made to the doctors. We met Dr. Cutting, and I was as impressed as I hoped I would be. He explained the entire process in detail, and that made me feel a whole lot better about our decision. Her surgery is scheduled for November 13th, and we're hoping and praying her gums will touch before then.

While we were waiting in the lobby for the nurse to see her, we met another little girl with a bilateral cleft. Her name was Niomi, she was 8 and had the sweetest little voice i've heard. She was playing with Savannah and said "I hope the kids don't make fun of HER at school." I said do the kids make fun of you at school? and her eyes welled up and she said "yeah" My heart felt like it had burst. I wanted so badly to hug her and tell her it was not true. Whatever the kids said was not true. But instead I was speechless. I managed to tell her she was an awsome little girl, but who wants to hear they're awsome when others are making fun of you? I think the reality of what these poor children go through dumbfounded me.

The world can be such a cruel place.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm glad that you feel comfortable with the surgeon and everything worked out. I didn't even realize that you were flying on the 11th! I think I would feel a little nervous too. Savannah is a special little girl and we are keeping her in our prayers.

Rebecca said...

Yes, the world can be a very cruel place. Good thing we have our homes for places of refuge from all the teasing and taunts. You were brave to take a flight to New York on the 11th.

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you like your surgeon. Kinda funny that his name is Dr. Cutting. He was probably one of those kids who everyone told him he needed to be a surgeon because of his name.
It breaks my heart that the little girl you met has been made fun of by other children. It makes you just want to follow her to school and protect her. Keep the faith that all will be well with Savannah. You will be blessed. I believe that with all my heart.

Rebecca said...

In my sister's ward in Las Vegas this past weekend a couple blessed their baby Savannah Joy...I thought about your little Savannah. It's becoming a popular name.