Monday, May 11, 2009

Our Garden




This is what our back yard looked like, and still does for the most part, but this year, I vowed I'd have a garden by spring. After much reading and planning, this is what we( my dad and I) have done so far.





We've got the standard tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, and pumpkins, and a bunch of other experiments. The kids love digging and making mud, and eating the occasional strawberry the birds and ant decide to leave us.




It's still a work in progress, soon, I hope to paint the fence and add the bark in the pathways, but overall I am very happy with our results.

The area behind the garden was pre-assigned from day one as my chicken coop. Yes, despite the teasing and ridiculing, I'll admit, I want a chicken coop. I've waited and waited for the temperature to heat up a little, and it finally has, so last Friday we went out and got the 6 newest members of our family.....Our chicks (no names have been decided on yet)





The kids love watching them, and I've got to admit, they're pretty entertaining to watch. We haven't had too much play time with them yet because they have to be kept warm, but I'm thinking this next week, we'll take them out to explore a little. Chickens?! Gardens?! I know, what can I say, I guess I have a not so secret love for country livin'.

4 comments:

The Dwelley's said...

How fun. Matt had chickens and a goose when he was growning up in downey. His mom got rid of the goose because when she was prego and would bend over in the garden it would nip at the back of her legs and make her fall. Funny funny :) Looks like you guys are having fun :)

Andrea said...

It looks so good! I am impressed with the chicks. Our neighbors had 12 but got rid of them. 6 sounds much better! We will have to come visit them. Hope to see you at Ms. Dottie's. Bring Mason if you don't have a sitter.

Unknown said...

Your garden looks great! I have such a good time with my garden. The chicks are so cute. Are you hoping that they will lay eggs? Or do you just want to have some chickens. Very cool, a little bit of country life in the city!

BENVANA said...

Ah, I see you finally posted-- i love reading the updates! How fun a chicken coup and a garden! The garden looks great and looks like you're raising good little farmers! It looks like you're having a lot of fun. We need to come see you but our life has been kinda crazy too.